2022 end of year roundup
For many people this year will have been a good one, being the year that things returned to some degree of ‘normality’ after the pandemic. For me 2022 has been less good. The year started with my grandad dying, and got worse in September with the sudden death of my dad. I don't really want to dwell on those things here, but I'm grateful for the people in my life who've supported me through it.
Despite the bad things that happened this year, I'm continuing my annual review of things I've enjoyed this year - even bad years aren't universally bad, and I think it's important to celebrate positive things when we encounter them.
I usually do this as an unordered list, but this year I especially want to call out Aftersun - I know everyone else is also raving about it but it really is an oustanding film, and of all the films I've seen this year it's the one that has stuck with me the most.
Eligibility criteria: I've limited myself here to works that got a UK theatrical or streaming release in 2022.
- All Light Everywhere
- Bodies Bodies Bodies
- Crimes of the Future
- Decision to Leave
- Everything Everywhere All At Once
- Flux Gourmet
- Jackass Forever
- No Bears
Eligibility criteria: here I've only included programmes which had at least 1 new episode in 2022.
- Bad Sisters
- Big Boys
- Derry Girls
- Don’t Hug Me I’m Scared
- How to With John Wilson
- Station Eleven
- The Bear
- The Rehearsal
- The Traitors
Eligibility criteria: albums or EPs listed as 2022 releases on Spotify or Bandcamp. I'm not including reissues, compilations, or rerecords, so Franz Ferdinand's Hits to the Head doesn't qualify.
- Classic Objects - Jenny Hval
- Conduit - Coby Sey
- Crash - Charli XCX
- Dummy Corporation - Actress
- Hideous Bastard - Oliver Sim
- HOLY FVCK - Demi Lovato
- HOME.S - Esbjorn Svensson
- House Without a View - Lande Hekt
- In Concert & In Residence - Sarah Davachi
- Kiren - Yasuaki Shimizu
- Last Man on Earth - Haythem Mahbouli
- Limbs - Keeley Forsyth
- Once Upon a Time - Romance
- Plonk - Huerco S
- Renaissance - Beyonce
- Streetlands EP - Burial
- Supernova - Nova Twins
- The Real Work - Party Dozen
- Who Goes There - Ambient Babestation Meltdown + JBS
This year I continued with my attempt to read all the novels of John le Carré. I'm now firmly out of the Cold War and into events I actually remember and was politically engaged with at the time, which feels a bit odd.
Eligibility criteria: books of any age which I read for the first time in 2022.
- A Civic Technologist's Practice Guide - Cyd Harrell
- A Perfect Spy - John le Carré
- Grimscribe: His Lives and Works - Thomas Ligotti
- Mexican Gothic - Silvia Moreno-Garcia
- Single & Single - John le Carré
- The Constant Gardener - John le Carré
- The Greek Plays: Sixteen Plays - Aeschylus, Sophocles, and Euripides, edited by Mary R. Lefkowitz & James Romm, translations by Emily Wilson, Frank Nisetich, Sarah Ruden, Rachel Kitzinger, Mary Lefkowitz, and James Romm
- Wakenhyrst - Michelle Paver
I didn't play many games this year. For video games, I enjoyed Return of the Obra Dinn, and sunk a bit more time into Cuphead. In board games, I got Burgle Bros. but haven't had a chance to play it yet, and I tried Wingspan which I enjoyed but haven't got my head round yet. I played some others but i haven't done a good job remembering or recording them, which is something to think about for next year.
I saw a couple of good plays this year namely Punchdrunk's The Burnt City which lived up to my expectations despite the hype, and Gary Owen's Iphigenia in Splott, which I bought a discounted last-minute ticket for while in London for work, and which really moved me in a way I wasn't expecting.
At the end of January I broke my ankle while out running, which was incredibly painful and not particularly conducive to sport. I was lucky though - it was a minor fracture, and with a few weeks in a boot and some physio I was able to start training again - I even hit my distance goal for the year, which I assumed was a write off.
- Achieved a half marathon personal best in the Bristol Half (01:57:56) 👟
- Ran over 1 million metres! 🎉
- Completed the Bristol Triathlon (2:57:29) - my first standard-distance triathlon.
- Did my longest ever bike ride (Cycled 120km, from Bristol to Weston-Super-Mare via Clevedon, and back, with Das Rad Klub)